Thursday, July 06, 2006

We Rock!!!!!

3 miles this morning with Holly. Jenny was a no call no show, what's up with that? She overslept. Okay, can I just say we soooo rock. I know this is not as fast as some, but this is my fastest three miles to date, and boy did it feel great! My average heart rate was only a little elevated from about 159 to 164 for this run. Beautiful morning. Here's how the splits went:

Mile 1 9:03 (Holy crap, that's fast, no wonder I was having trouble settling into my breathing)
Mile 2 9:08
Mile 3 9:08 (could we be any more consistent?)

For a total of 27:21 and an average of 9:06 per mile. We are fast! Kinda. I am excited to see if we can get into the 8's by the end of summer and end of training. I know there is no way that I could maintain that pace for very long, but it's fun to push it during the shorter runs. I am so going to want this week in about 6 weeks, because from here we really start building. Reminder to self - don't be stupid, remember this is probably why I hurt my hip flexor a couple months ago, because I just got too fast and started running all my runs way faster that I was used to, so this weekend, no faster that 10 minute miles, I don't really want to see any 9's in there, and it's supposed to be flippin hot this weekend, yuck.

Alright, here's part one of how I got started running:

So, just about two years ago, Hank and I started taking a superfood drink to help with our overall health. I got tired of being tired and feeling yucky. So, I would get up with him before he went to work and make his shake for him, and then because it was about an hour and a half before the boys got up, I would go down in the basement and walk on the treadmill. Well, you can probably guess how that went after awhile. I started to find all these excusses about why I couldn't walk on the treadmill on most days. I would still get up with Hank, but then I would just go take my shower and not get in my "workout". So this went on through Christmas time.

So, after the new year, I started researching some stuff on the web, and I don't even know why I did this, but I started looking for a race I could do. I think maybe I came across the Shamrock Shuffle. I thought that sounded like fun, and I could probably talk my sister into doing it with me, she's pretty fit already. So, then I researched a program to help me with running it. I found the Couch to 5k run program on the Cool Running site and printed it out. I started to follow it at home on my treadmill. It helped to have a schedule to follow. It was one of the walk 10 minutes, run 30 seconds and then build from there. I couldn't have hated it more. Everytime I would walk up from the basement and tell my husband how much I hated it. It was very hard. A few months into, I realized that I was not going to be ready for the Shamrock Shuffle, so I picked another race to shot for in June, the Band on the Run Run.

I'll tell more of my story next time, I know you're all in suspense. Did she make it? How did it go? Blah blah blah.


Post a Comment

<< Home