Saturday, August 05, 2006

Another long run in the bank

14 miles! Who am I? It went pretty good, had a couple emergency potty breaks, but I was always close to home, so that wasn't a problem. I kinda figured it was going to be one of those runs, because I kinda felt it going in. Holly and I started out at 5 am. We didn't get home until almost 11 the night before because of a baby shower we went to, what baby shower lasts until 11? I wish we would have thought of driving by ourselves. Oh well.

So, we started at 5 and ran three little miles outside my neighborhood and then had to be back in here so my hubby could go to work. That's right, I ran 11 miles around and around and around my little hamster wheel. Thank god for my friends, they got me through. Holly stopped around 9 miles and then Jen was here around 5 miles, so she finished with me. I was never alone. This worked out so good. I was so glad to be finished! It took 2 1/2 hours to cover that distance, we were very consitant with our pace, even kicked it up 30 seconds in the last mile.

Here are the after effects of the run. First, blisters. I have a blister on top of a blister and then several other blisters. This of course happened because I was cocky about blisters. "Who me? I never get blisters" Yep, that was me about a week ago. When will I learn to shut my mouth? Anyway, I asked around and more people are in favor of just leaving them to heal on their own, don't pop them. I was leaning in that direction as I hate doing that kind of stuff, I'm not a popper.

The next thing is chaffing. So, after the run I stretched and took a shower. When I got in the shower I felt like I was being stung by a bee right under my boob. It hurt. It stopped hurting after a little while and so I didn't think anything of it. Then I was changing later on and saw what the problem was. I was all chaffed right under my nips! I couldn't believe it. I never thought that would happen. I geuss it was better than being chaffed right on my nips, but how weird. I will have to apply the body glide there now too, I should buy stock in that company because I'm thinking I am going to need a lot of that stuff in the next couple months.

The other thing that happened after my run was my very first ice bath. Holy crap. I kept my clothes on and put a sweatshirt on too. I just did it for 15 minutes, man was that cold. The worst is of course right when you get in, but then it's okay, still cold, but doable. I have to say that I was still sore today, really more stiff than sore, but I ran 4 miles recovery this afternoon and my legs felt great! I will do this again after my 1/2 on Sunday and then after all my long runs from here on out. I'm a believer.

That does it for this weeks long run and such. The ridiculous heat is gone, it's warm today, but not like that. It would be nice to have a couple early evening runs or afternoons. I'm heading up north tomorrow with my boys. I hope to get a couple runs in while we are there, but I don't have my heart set on it. I will get at least 4, but if I could get a 7 also, then I could take next Saturday off before the race on Sunday. Run strong everyone!



At 4:51 AM, Blogger Susan said...

oh my, i wish our ridiculous heat was gone . . . still many more months for me. great job on the 14 miles!


Post a Comment

<< Home